Savings Success Story
by Joyce G.
Easy Ways to Build an Emergency Fund
6 Squirrely Ways to Save
I could really relate to the article on "POS". I have a small business doing Taxes and Accounting for business and clients, but it wasn't always so. I didn't go back to school until I was 40 years old, and our three daughters were almost raised. Before that we lived entirely on my husband's wages, and what little part time income that I could bring in, which usually was less than $2,000 a year. Even with my own business and my husband's income as a Pest exterminator we've never been out of the 15% tax bracket.
We have some retirement savings, an emergency fund of around $10,000, and we only owe $9,000 on our 1800 sq ft home in the country. We have a pickup that's been paid for for years, and I bought us a new car this year with cash. We've also taken vacations, a cruise on our 25th anniversary, and a trip to Cancun, among other trips.
We were able to do all this on a quite small income, because we put savings first, and didn't spend any more than necessary on things that weren't important to us. I also buy food and supplies in bulk when on sale and cook from scratch. Before tax season I do quite a bit of cooking and freeze up the meals so that we don't have to have fast food or eat out much during my busy season.
I just wanted to write and say that amazing things can be done with thrift, saving all you can, and attention to detail. Oh, by the way, we are in our early 50's.
"My Story" is a regular feature of The Dollar Stretcher. If you have a story that could help save time or money please send it to MyStory@stretcher.com
Take the Next Step:
- Are you getting the best CD rate? Use our simple tool to find out. It's completely private, extrememly simple and you'll know what rate is available to you in seconds!
- Compare money market rates with our best rate finder. Don't let your bank pay you less than you deserve. It only takes a minute and your privacy is complete protected.
Trending on TDS
- Master the art of haggling
- Flipping thrift store items as a business
- Video: Getting started as an entrepreneur
- Financial advice for newlyweds
- 5 financial strategies to help you take charge of your financial world
- Key choices that provide for financial security and peace of mind
- Video: Negotiate a better deal on anything
- How retailers appeal to your 5 senses to get you to spend
- 3 money beliefs that hurt your finances
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- 7 times you can save money by spending money
- The most vulnerable credit cards in your wallet
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal