Changing Appliance Colors
Fixing Your Own Appliance
Buying a Refrigerator
Can't Stand Color Clash
How can I change the color of my refrigerator without buying a new one? I would like to change it to black. It's a great refrigerator; however, it clashes with the rest of my décor. Help!
Try Appliance Refinishing
The best solution is "appliance refinishing" or otherwise known as electrostatic painting. Assuming your appliance is in good condition (no cracks, chipping, and so on), the refinisher can have your color updated and ready to use in as little as 48 hours for a refrigerator to 7 days for a stove (this is 99.5% drying time).
We used this process to turn a 1970s gold tub and sink to a 1990s almond color with great success. In our local Kansas City yellow pages, these services are listed under "Appliance Refinishing". Enjoy turning those ugly ducklings into swans for a fraction of the cost of new.
Contact Paper Works Great
We once bought a home with a kitchen that had dark brown cabinets with black counters, fridge, dishwasher and stove and a dark red floor. I was desperate to brighten the place up. The fridge was only a year old, so replacing it was silly. I simply bought heavy duty Contac paper and covered both it and the front of the dishwasher. It was sturdy, easy to wipe off and quick to apply. If you haven't used Contac paper in a while, you'll be surprised at how much easier it is to work with. After about 2 years, the seams had shrunk just a tad, but I caught a sale and just bought a new covering in a new color for a fun update!
Panels Can Be Changed
I know there are companies that will simply change out the panels on the fridge. You can go to the appliance store and ask for a brochure. I also believe there are specific paints for appliances, though I don't know how well those work.
Appliance Painting is Simple
We've painted a fridge and a dishwasher with melamine paint and a foam roller. They both have looked great for years. They have that no fingerprint texture because of the foam roller. We've also painted two range hoods this way with great results.
I recently saw an episode of "Trading Spaces" on TLC where they did the very same thing. They just went to a home improvement store and bought black appliance paint in a spray can. It's important to get the appliance paint and not regular spray paint because the appliance paint is formulated to withstand hotter temperatures without cracking and peeling. You may have to put more than one coat on it, depending on the present color of your refrigerator but I got the impression it isn't much more expensive than regular spray paint and the result was beautiful.
Shop home improvement at Overstock.com
Body Shops Can Change the Color
The way to change the color of your refrigerator is to take it to the same place you would take your car if you needed it painted. I used to clean houses and one of my clients would take her appliances to a body shop whenever she wanted to change colors in her kitchen. Worked great and it wasn't really too expensive. It was better than getting new appliances each time.
Take the Next Step:
- Subscribe to our weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter. Each issue of this free html newsletter features tips and articles to help you stretch your dollars and survive in this challenging economy.
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Frugal Home Decorating and Remodeling" board today!
Also in Home
- Deck clean-up and repair
- How not to become 'house poor'
- Pricing garage sale items
- Free and extremely cheap sources of mulch
- Creating an outdoor room on a budget
- How to frugally remove a tree
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?