courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Well after I drive my car for a little while and come to a red light or to a stop sign. I press the brakes. Sometimes they brake right away and other times I have to press the brake all the way to the floor just so it can stop completely. Other times it stop right away but as I wait at a red light the car starts to move slowly. So I'm forced to keep pressing the brake down, almost until I hit the floor. Please give your advice. I have already changed my front brakes..
You either have a leak in the system or your master cylinder is bad. If you pump the pedal, does the height come back up? Or does it just mush all the way to the floor? Or, do you get good pedal, and it fades (for example, there is good height, but as you are holding the brake, your foot eventually winds up on the floor)? In any case you need to have your brakes serviced to avoid a nasty wreck.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- Top ways to save big oin furniture
- Winning the war against invading ants
- Restoring brass fixtures
- How to keep neighbor dogs from using your yard as an outhouse
- How to revive old yard tools
- Cleaning a greasy driveway
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?