Jetta Death Rattle
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Recently my 1990 Jetta GLi has started to run badly. Usually when I floor it I get a rush of power. Now all I get is a really loud exhaust noise, and no power. My exhaust is leak free and my manifold/downpipe has no cracks in it. but, my catalytic converter is rattling around like crazy, or something inside it is. Is it possible that my catalytic converter died and is blocking the airflow? A friend had a similar experience with his Bronco, and it is all I can think of. What do you think?
If the cat is making a rattling sound, it has failed. Your conclusion may be correct that it is blocking exhaust flow. Replace that part (since we know it is bad) and see how things go.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Experts guide to line drying clothes
- How to decorate your patio inexpensively
- Organic weed control guide
- Buying furniture from the manufacturer
- Moving on a dime
- Homemade room and fabric deodorizers
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?