Jetta Death Rattle
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Recently my 1990 Jetta GLi has started to run badly. Usually when I floor it I get a rush of power. Now all I get is a really loud exhaust noise, and no power. My exhaust is leak free and my manifold/downpipe has no cracks in it. but, my catalytic converter is rattling around like crazy, or something inside it is. Is it possible that my catalytic converter died and is blocking the airflow? A friend had a similar experience with his Bronco, and it is all I can think of. What do you think?
If the cat is making a rattling sound, it has failed. Your conclusion may be correct that it is blocking exhaust flow. Replace that part (since we know it is bad) and see how things go.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?