Disassembling Interior Trim
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am. It has manual windows, and the driver's side window has been off track since I bought it and it has only gotten worse. I tried to fix it a couple of times, but run into the same problem, I can't get the handle for rolling the window up or down off. It is the last piece that holds on the door panel on the inside. I guess my question has two parts. First, how do I get the door apart? And what can I expect once I get it open. I have been told that GM windows are notorious for coming off track. Well, I just can't take any more of this madness, please help me!
There is usually a "C" clip that holds the crank handle onto the regulator. It is very hard to see and they make a special tool for it. However, if you pull on the handle, and push on the door panel, you may be able to see it. If you do, you might be able to remove it with a small thin blade screw driver (be careful not to tear the door panel). There are many methods for attaching a window handle and this is just one. There may be a hidden compartment on the handle that contains a mounting screw. You will need to look closely on some to see it.
Another little trick is to go to an auto parts store and see if they carry a window handle for you car. You can then inspect that part to determine how it is installed (no purchase necessary here). Then, go home and see if yours is the same and remove it.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?