Disassembling Interior Trim
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am. It has manual windows, and the driver's side window has been off track since I bought it and it has only gotten worse. I tried to fix it a couple of times, but run into the same problem, I can't get the handle for rolling the window up or down off. It is the last piece that holds on the door panel on the inside. I guess my question has two parts. First, how do I get the door apart? And what can I expect once I get it open. I have been told that GM windows are notorious for coming off track. Well, I just can't take any more of this madness, please help me!
There is usually a "C" clip that holds the crank handle onto the regulator. It is very hard to see and they make a special tool for it. However, if you pull on the handle, and push on the door panel, you may be able to see it. If you do, you might be able to remove it with a small thin blade screw driver (be careful not to tear the door panel). There are many methods for attaching a window handle and this is just one. There may be a hidden compartment on the handle that contains a mounting screw. You will need to look closely on some to see it.
Another little trick is to go to an auto parts store and see if they carry a window handle for you car. You can then inspect that part to determine how it is installed (no purchase necessary here). Then, go home and see if yours is the same and remove it.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?