4 1/2 pound duckling
2 Tbs. onion, minced
1/4 tsp. tarragon
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup orange juice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 cup currant jelly
2 Tbs. grated orange peel
2 Tbs. port wine
1 orange, peeled and sectioned
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
With a fork, prick skin of duckling all over at approximately 2-inch intervals. Place duckling, breast side up, on metal rack or trivet in slow-cooking pot.
In saucepan, sauté onion and tarragon leaves in butter. Add orange juice, salt, mustard, currant jelly, and orange peel. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until jelly is melted. Reduce heat; stir in wine and orange sections. Brush 1/3 of the sauce over duck; cover slow-cooking pot and cook on low 7-9 hours.
During cooking drain fat and turn duck once, if possible. Stir remaining sauce into cornstarch and cook over medium heat until sauce thickens, then simmer 1 minute. Pour sauce over duck just before serving.
To lower the fat content somewhat, pour the sauce off the meat and refrigerate until fat rises to the top. Skim off the fat and reheat before serving.
Duckling may be cut into halves or quarters to fit into 3 1/2 quart or smaller slow-cooking pot.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- Inexpensive meal ideas for family reunions
- Frugal family journeys into geneology
- Avoiding your parents' debts
- Giveaway: Back-to-school lunch essentials
- Baby toys you can make
- Respect for a stay-at-home mom
- Saving kids from consumierism
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Beating the back-to-school budget blues
- 4 tips for enjoying a 'staycation'
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in July
- 8 items to buy at yard sales this summer
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator