4 1/2 pound duckling
2 Tbs. onion, minced
1/4 tsp. tarragon
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup orange juice
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 cup currant jelly
2 Tbs. grated orange peel
2 Tbs. port wine
1 orange, peeled and sectioned
1 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
With a fork, prick skin of duckling all over at approximately 2-inch intervals. Place duckling, breast side up, on metal rack or trivet in slow-cooking pot.
In saucepan, sauté onion and tarragon leaves in butter. Add orange juice, salt, mustard, currant jelly, and orange peel. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until jelly is melted. Reduce heat; stir in wine and orange sections. Brush 1/3 of the sauce over duck; cover slow-cooking pot and cook on low 7-9 hours.
During cooking drain fat and turn duck once, if possible. Stir remaining sauce into cornstarch and cook over medium heat until sauce thickens, then simmer 1 minute. Pour sauce over duck just before serving.
To lower the fat content somewhat, pour the sauce off the meat and refrigerate until fat rises to the top. Skim off the fat and reheat before serving.
Duckling may be cut into halves or quarters to fit into 3 1/2 quart or smaller slow-cooking pot.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- Get creative in the kitchen and save #TDSPantryChallenge
- Could you live without electricity and discretionary spending for a month?
- A 'glam" party for a 13 year old girl
- Could picky eating now lead to financial problems later?
- Don't toss your financial resolutions just yet Giveaway
- Removing pet urine smells
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- January bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- Raising kids that launch Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator