Replacement Parts for Windows
Buying Replacement Windows
I am refinishing my old double-hung windows, all of which use spring/spiral balances. The problem is I have not been able to find any company that manufactures these so I can replace them. Any suggestions or companies that do this? Thank you for your reply.
DS from Edgerton, WI
Here is a link to a company out of Cincinnati that stocks a large number of parts: pickenswindowparts.com
If you can't find original replacement parts, you might still be able to make a generic repair. Many lumberyards and home stores sell window track replacement kits that may work with your existing sash... if you can find the proper size.
These kits require removal of all stops, guides and, of course, the original hardware. They were originally developed to replace the pulleys and counterweights in old-fashioned double hung windows, but they can be used with most any sash or frame.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?