Dead Ford Windstar
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a Ford 1995 Windstar Minivan and am very disappointed in it. I have been trying to find information to learn more about this vehicle like the number of sensors, and any other "diagrams" showing all the parts and functions, because, honestly, I've been getting ripped off.
Here's the problem. It won't start at all. Not a sound. I'm stumped. The manual doesn't tell you what to do. Also, when my alarm goes off, it makes a "dying" sound, as though the batteries are wearing out. Any suggestions (troubleshooting techniques and/or links) would definitely be appreciated! Thanks.
It would sound like you have a dead battery. Now, the battery may be dead due to a bad alternator or something else that is draining it (like that alarm). Most after market alarms when not installed properly will drain a battery.
One way to find out is to first charge up the battery. Once it is fully charged, with the negative battery cable removed, place a non powered test light between the negative terminal and the cable. If the test light glows brightly, you have a current leak. Something is draining your battery.
I would target the alarm first then move off to other systems. Pull one fuse at a time until you see a change in the light. This will help you narrow down what circuit is causing the troubles.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?