Dead Ford Windstar
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a Ford 1995 Windstar Minivan and am very disappointed in it. I have been trying to find information to learn more about this vehicle like the number of sensors, and any other "diagrams" showing all the parts and functions, because, honestly, I've been getting ripped off.
Here's the problem. It won't start at all. Not a sound. I'm stumped. The manual doesn't tell you what to do. Also, when my alarm goes off, it makes a "dying" sound, as though the batteries are wearing out. Any suggestions (troubleshooting techniques and/or links) would definitely be appreciated! Thanks.
It would sound like you have a dead battery. Now, the battery may be dead due to a bad alternator or something else that is draining it (like that alarm). Most after market alarms when not installed properly will drain a battery.
One way to find out is to first charge up the battery. Once it is fully charged, with the negative battery cable removed, place a non powered test light between the negative terminal and the cable. If the test light glows brightly, you have a current leak. Something is draining your battery.
I would target the alarm first then move off to other systems. Pull one fuse at a time until you see a change in the light. This will help you narrow down what circuit is causing the troubles.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- How to clean and restore cast-iron cookware
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Is it cost-effective to make your own laundry detergent?
- Recipes for homemade fabric fresheners
- Inexpensive reupholstery
- Make your own cleaners
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?