Softening Your Clothes
by Lisa Van den Boomen
Saving Money on Fabric Softener
Homemade Laundry Detergent
Here are some tips for softening your clothes!
Vinegar: This is by far the best way to soften your clothes and it's also environmentally friendly! Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to final rinse. Personally I use a "downy ball" and fill it as I would if I were using liquid fabric softener. If you are washing a blanket or clothes with itchy fabric, use 1 cup if possible.
Instead of Fabric Softener Sheets: Fabric softener sheets are expensive to use! Instead, Make a solution with 1/3 cup of generic liquid fabric softener and 1 cup of water. Cut up pieces of fabric (thick cotton) into 4" squares and dip in solution. Squeeze out the excess and throw one square in the dryer with clothes!! Do not make more that this amount of solution at a time, as it becomes slimy over time if you do it. Using this method, your generic fabric softener jug should last you about a year to a year and a half!!!
Instead of using cotton fabric, you can also use small pieces of sponge.
Instead of dipping in solution, you can add the mixture to a spray bottle and spray onto sheets until slightly damp.
Baking Soda: Another interesting way to soften clothes would be to add 3 teaspoons of baking soda to a baby sock and throw in with wash! That's it!
Fabric Softener Solution
- 2 cups white Vinegar
- 2 cups baking soda
- 4 cups water
Combine slowly and carefully over sink. The baking soda and vinegar will fizz. Pour into plastic bottle, cover, and shake. Use 1/4 cup in the final rinse or in a "Downy Ball".
Fabric Softener Sheets
If you insist on using pre-made fabric softener sheets, you can cut them in half and still save!
Lisa Van den Boomen currently teaches workshops on making your own bath and body products and food gifts. You can contact her at email@example.com
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?