Softening Your Clothes
by Lisa Van den Boomen
Saving Money on Fabric Softener
Homemade Laundry Detergent
Here are some tips for softening your clothes!
Vinegar: This is by far the best way to soften your clothes and it's also environmentally friendly! Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to final rinse. Personally I use a "downy ball" and fill it as I would if I were using liquid fabric softener. If you are washing a blanket or clothes with itchy fabric, use 1 cup if possible.
Instead of Fabric Softener Sheets: Fabric softener sheets are expensive to use! Instead, Make a solution with 1/3 cup of generic liquid fabric softener and 1 cup of water. Cut up pieces of fabric (thick cotton) into 4" squares and dip in solution. Squeeze out the excess and throw one square in the dryer with clothes!! Do not make more that this amount of solution at a time, as it becomes slimy over time if you do it. Using this method, your generic fabric softener jug should last you about a year to a year and a half!!!
Instead of using cotton fabric, you can also use small pieces of sponge.
Instead of dipping in solution, you can add the mixture to a spray bottle and spray onto sheets until slightly damp.
Baking Soda: Another interesting way to soften clothes would be to add 3 teaspoons of baking soda to a baby sock and throw in with wash! That's it!
Fabric Softener Solution
- 2 cups white Vinegar
- 2 cups baking soda
- 4 cups water
Combine slowly and carefully over sink. The baking soda and vinegar will fizz. Pour into plastic bottle, cover, and shake. Use 1/4 cup in the final rinse or in a "Downy Ball".
Try Crystal Wash. 1000 loads of laundry - no detergents, no dyes, no chemicals, no perfumes
Fabric Softener Sheets
If you insist on using pre-made fabric softener sheets, you can cut them in half and still save!
Lisa Van den Boomen currently teaches workshops on making your own bath and body products and food gifts. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Take the Next Step
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox aimed to help you 'live better...for less'. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Spend less time and money doing your laundry. Try some of our Laundry for Less ideas on Pinterest.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?