Changing Brake Fluid
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My brake fluid is slightly low. My BMW 530i calls for DOT 4 fluid; thus far, I can only find DOT 3 What is the difference?
As far as I am told, you don't want to go backwards in DOT number. If a system calls for DOT 3, you could use DOT 4 but not the other way around. DOT 4 should be available at any automotive parts store. I am also told that brake fluid should be changed every 2 years regardless. What color is the fluid that is currently there? Is it brownish or clear? If it is any color other than clear, then you need to change it. You see, brake fluid will absorb moisture. Then, as the fluid is passed through the system, it will corrode the metal in the working parts (i.e., the ABS pump, wheel calipers, lines, etc.).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?