Changing Brake Fluid
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My brake fluid is slightly low. My BMW 530i calls for DOT 4 fluid; thus far, I can only find DOT 3 What is the difference?
As far as I am told, you don't want to go backwards in DOT number. If a system calls for DOT 3, you could use DOT 4 but not the other way around. DOT 4 should be available at any automotive parts store. I am also told that brake fluid should be changed every 2 years regardless. What color is the fluid that is currently there? Is it brownish or clear? If it is any color other than clear, then you need to change it. You see, brake fluid will absorb moisture. Then, as the fluid is passed through the system, it will corrode the metal in the working parts (i.e., the ABS pump, wheel calipers, lines, etc.).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?