Shaky Steering Wheel
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
When I start stepping on the brakes at a fairly high speed my '98 Concorde steering wheel shakes. And the brakes have a high pitched squeal when coming to a stop. We replaced front brakes, but that did not help. We were told it could be the rotors. What do you suggest?
In most cases, a steering wheel shimmy is due to the rotors being out of round. They would need to be trued by a mechanic on a brake lathe. The high temperatures that are created during braking could warp the rotors. It might not be evident to the eye, but you can definitely feel it in your steering where.
As for the sound, there is also the resonance frequency of the rotors themselves. I read an article in a trade magazine that explained it with extreme detail. To paraphrase, the system is designed with sound in mind as well as safety. The size up the pads and the rotors to match the weight characteristics of the car. As the brake components age, their resonance frequency (which was originally designed to be out of the range of human hearing) will lower. Sometimes to the point where we can hear it.
There is also a minimum thickness that is allowed for the rotors. This will be stamped on the rotors themselves. This is a safety issues. Turning them down below this point could result in catastrophic brake failure under extreme conditions.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Cleaning the things that clean
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Buying a new furnace
- Recycling 'gray' water
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?