Sounds Like a Siren
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I own a '89 Bonneville LE. Lately, I have been noticing a siren like sound coming from about the center of the engine more to the passenger side. This noise has been increasing when I step on the gas. Also, things seem to get a bit dimmer until I step on the gas! The power door locks have not been working properly and the power windows seem to move very slowly. There is a new battery and the belt seems fine. Can you help?
It very well could be the bearings in the alternator that are squealing. Does the pitch or the volume of the sound change as you increase engine speed?
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Ways to reuse an entertainment center
- The cost of using your clothes dryer
- Hay bale gardens
- Priortizing home repair projects
- Great ideas for decorating your entry on a dime
- Easy, inexpensive ways to grow from seed
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?