Sounds Like a Siren
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I own a '89 Bonneville LE. Lately, I have been noticing a siren like sound coming from about the center of the engine more to the passenger side. This noise has been increasing when I step on the gas. Also, things seem to get a bit dimmer until I step on the gas! The power door locks have not been working properly and the power windows seem to move very slowly. There is a new battery and the belt seems fine. Can you help?
It very well could be the bearings in the alternator that are squealing. Does the pitch or the volume of the sound change as you increase engine speed?
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?