Finding a Credit Union
by Misty Weaver-Ostinato
I love credit unions. I have actually never used a bank. There are many reasons I hate banks, and many reasons I love credit unions. One of the major reasons I've never used a bank is that most of them have a minimum balance you have to keep in your checking account. Having paid my own way through college, then paying for my own wedding, having two kids in very short order and buying a new house, there was no way I could keep money in my checking account. We were either paying bills or saving for something.
Luckily, I have always had a job where I had access to a credit union. This isn't the case for millions of other people that want to get into a credit union. There has been a recent change in laws that have allowed credit unions to relax their membership restrictions. It's now a lot easier to find one. Here are some tips on starting your search.
- Start with your employer. Ask the personnel manager or your boss if employees have access to a local credit union.
- Ask your family. The old restrictions on who qualifies as a family member have been stretched beyond belief at some credit unions. You may qualify as a niece, aunt, nephew, or even uncle of a family member.
- Check with your neighbors. Some credit unions are now admitting members within a certain geographical location.
- Check http://www.cuna.org for credit union listings.
If you still can't find a credit union you can call CUNA at 1-800-358-5710 and they will actually help you find one. Once you find a credit union that you are eligible to join, make sure you ask them the same questions you would a bank.
Take the Next Step
- Are you getting the best CD rate? Use our simple tool to find out. It's completely private, extrememly simple and you'll know what rate is available to you in seconds!
- Compare money market rates with our best rate finder. Don't let your bank pay you less than you deserve. It only takes a minute and your privacy is complete protected.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- Do you spend to deal with stress?
- How to live like a millionaire Video
- 5 financial strategies from King Solomon
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Should you sell to American Pickers?
- The benefits of volunteering
- 5 steps to negotiating a better and smarter deal
- How to grow savings fast
- 3 money beliefs that hurt your finances
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- 7 times you can save money by spending money
- 3 tips to get -- and maintain -- the best deals on your cable and cellphone bills
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal