Cold Snap Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Plan for Winter's Worst
A Winter Emergency Kit
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter Driving
I've noticed that my car is taking a really long time to warm up. Even after driving for 15 or 20 minutes the heat is only lukewarm. Also my transmission is shifting really tough and banging into gear. A friend told me its all related to the thermostat. Could this be? This all started only recently when we got a cold snap. Its been in the single digits here for the last week or so. I know if the thermostat is stuck open the car will take a really long time to warm up, if it does at all. But can a bad thermostat cause the transmission to shift weirdly?? p.s. after the car finally warms up (at least somewhat ) I notice the shifting is much smoother. Can you give me any info?
Most cars have transmission lines that run to the radiator. In the summer, it cools the fluid, in the winter, it warms the fluid. If the thermostat is stuck open, then nothing will really warm up correctly. That could cause the problem you describe.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?