Cold Snap Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Plan for Winter's Worst
A Winter Emergency Kit
5 Ways to Prepare Your Car for Winter Driving
I've noticed that my car is taking a really long time to warm up. Even after driving for 15 or 20 minutes the heat is only lukewarm. Also my transmission is shifting really tough and banging into gear. A friend told me its all related to the thermostat. Could this be? This all started only recently when we got a cold snap. Its been in the single digits here for the last week or so. I know if the thermostat is stuck open the car will take a really long time to warm up, if it does at all. But can a bad thermostat cause the transmission to shift weirdly?? p.s. after the car finally warms up (at least somewhat ) I notice the shifting is much smoother. Can you give me any info?
Most cars have transmission lines that run to the radiator. In the summer, it cools the fluid, in the winter, it warms the fluid. If the thermostat is stuck open, then nothing will really warm up correctly. That could cause the problem you describe.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?