Proper Starting Proceedure
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I own a 1992 Olds 88 Royal, 3.8 litre, 3800 tuned port injection. It won't start cold. When cranking it makes all kids of awful backfire sounds. As soon as I quit cranking it gives a big backfire. Once started, it runs great and doesn't smoke. Will start right up when the engine is warm.
We looked in the book, replaced the plugs and the temperature sensor, but it's still doing the same thing. When we checked the plugs, they were dripping gas, but when we dried them out, it started. What do we try next? Or what can be the problem?
When you start the car, do you do anything other than turn the key? It sounds like you are flooding it. The proper way to start a fuel injected car is to turn the key, wait for the dash board to initialize (usually about 5 seconds) then turn the key to start. Do not do anything with your feet! Just let them sit there. No pumping, no pressing, no anything.
If you are pumping the throttle like you used to do with a carb engine, then you run the risk of exploding your intake. You see, with modern engines, is looks at the rapid movement of the throttle as an indication of acceleration. It then send tons and tons of extra fuel into the cylinders to compensate. The faster you pump, the more it thinks you want to accelerate. Eventually, you will have too much fuel to start.
Just turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to prime up, then turn to start. If that does not work, then you need to look at a few things. First is the IAC (Idle air control valve) to make sure that it is working correctly. The next would be the TPS (throttle position sensor). It may not know that the car is at idle and is not actuating the IAC. The next would be the temperature sensor. It may think the car is actually warmer than it is and not enriching the fuel mixture enough to start when cold.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?