Proper Starting Proceedure
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I own a 1992 Olds 88 Royal, 3.8 litre, 3800 tuned port injection. It won't start cold. When cranking it makes all kids of awful backfire sounds. As soon as I quit cranking it gives a big backfire. Once started, it runs great and doesn't smoke. Will start right up when the engine is warm.
We looked in the book, replaced the plugs and the temperature sensor, but it's still doing the same thing. When we checked the plugs, they were dripping gas, but when we dried them out, it started. What do we try next? Or what can be the problem?
When you start the car, do you do anything other than turn the key? It sounds like you are flooding it. The proper way to start a fuel injected car is to turn the key, wait for the dash board to initialize (usually about 5 seconds) then turn the key to start. Do not do anything with your feet! Just let them sit there. No pumping, no pressing, no anything.
If you are pumping the throttle like you used to do with a carb engine, then you run the risk of exploding your intake. You see, with modern engines, is looks at the rapid movement of the throttle as an indication of acceleration. It then send tons and tons of extra fuel into the cylinders to compensate. The faster you pump, the more it thinks you want to accelerate. Eventually, you will have too much fuel to start.
Just turn the key on, wait for the fuel pump to prime up, then turn to start. If that does not work, then you need to look at a few things. First is the IAC (Idle air control valve) to make sure that it is working correctly. The next would be the TPS (throttle position sensor). It may not know that the car is at idle and is not actuating the IAC. The next would be the temperature sensor. It may think the car is actually warmer than it is and not enriching the fuel mixture enough to start when cold.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Don't let a reverse mortgage leave you homeless Expert Interview
- How to create an outdoor room on a budget
- Cheap home security Slideshow
- Renew your kitchen cabinets for $100
- Buying a kitchen stove
- Killing crabgrass
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?