Painting Vinyl Siding
I have an old house I bought that was sided with vinyl siding in the 1970's, it is in good shape, except it is so discolored. Can it be painted? Also, what is a good way to clean it... it is a two-story!
KS from Minnesota
There is some debate as to whether vinyl siding should be painted. The controversy surrounds the expansion and contraction of vinyl siding, which is much greater than wood or aluminum siding. Paints that do not expand with the siding will crack.
However, this is not a problem if you use top quality acrylic latex primers and paints. Acrylic latex paints are remarkably flexible and, providing the surface is thoroughly cleaned, will work well on vinyl.
The siding should be cleaned and dried thoroughly. For hand washing, Owens Corning recommends the following cleaning solution: 1/3 cup powdered detergent (Fab(r), Tide(r) or equivalent powdered detergent), 2/3 cup Spic & Span(r) or equivalent powdered household cleaner dissolved in 1 gallon water. If your vinyl has mildew, substitute a quart of household bleach for one quart of water in the mix.
Apply the solution with a sponge or an automobile brush. Rinse thoroughly while still wet.
Of course, you could simplify your life and rent power washing equipment, which would be quicker and also make cleaning the upper level somewhat easier!! Just be sure to get a cleaning solution designed for powerwashers... or you might end up loosing you home in a mountain of soap suds!!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.