Pool Pump Operating Costs
Saving on Pool Expenses
How Much Does Electricity Cost
Can you give me an estimate of the operating cost of running a 3450-rpm pool filter pump per month? It is an 18 x 30' oval above ground. I will be running the pump around the clock for the next few months.
Ah... how time flies! It seems like only yesterday that we had frost on the Pumpkins and now we're discussing swimming pools! To compute the energy use of your pump, use the following formula:
(Wattage of the pump) x (Hours used per day) / 1000 = Daily Kilowatt-hour (kWh) consumption
Multiply the resulting figure by the "cost-per-kWh" on your electric bill and you will get a good estimate of your daily cost:
(Daily kWh consumption) x (cost per kWh) = Cost per day to run pump.
However, this figure alone is not good enough to judge the actual cost efficiency of a pump. You must go one step further and determine how much it costs you to pump each gallon of water. This is easily determined by looking at the gallons-per-minute (GPM) disclosure (hopefully) on the pump housing or in the owner's manual.
(Cost per day to run pump) / (GPM x 1440) = Cost to pump one gallon of water.
This last figure makes is very easy to compare different pumps. Since more efficient pumps usually come with heftier price tags, you can get a realistic sense of what your extra dollars are buying!
After all, money doesn't grow on trees. Though with the "evolution" of genetic engineering, who knows when we'll be picking bucks off our old magnolias!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Will my insurance spike if I rent out my basement?
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- 5 tips to sell a home before buying another
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?