Resurrecting a Dead Battery
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I drive a 1986 Mitsubishi Lancer. I have a 3 year old battery in it which is on its way out. The car won't start even if after 30 minutes of it being parked. Can you suggest any way of making the battery last a couple of months longer. Is there any home remedy?
If a battery is sulfated then there really isn't anything you can do. There are some chemicals on the market that say they help, but I have not found any of them to be actually useful. If you have a charger (and not just the alternator in your car) and you fully charge the battery, and within 30 minutes it is dead again then I would also look to see if there is a short in the car somewhere that is draining the battery.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?