Resurrecting a Dead Battery
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I drive a 1986 Mitsubishi Lancer. I have a 3 year old battery in it which is on its way out. The car won't start even if after 30 minutes of it being parked. Can you suggest any way of making the battery last a couple of months longer. Is there any home remedy?
If a battery is sulfated then there really isn't anything you can do. There are some chemicals on the market that say they help, but I have not found any of them to be actually useful. If you have a charger (and not just the alternator in your car) and you fully charge the battery, and within 30 minutes it is dead again then I would also look to see if there is a short in the car somewhere that is draining the battery.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.