Roofs and Leak Protection
We are having our roof replaced. They have the tarpaper down and have begun replacing the shingles. We are threatened with rain tomorrow. Will the tarpaper be enough to protect our home? Will we have problems with mold later if it does not protect it?
If the tarpaper is securely stapled and overlapped properly, it should keep all but the most severe weather out. Tarpaper is totally waterproof and would be a good roofing material itself except that it's not very sturdy. Over time, it would become brittle, tear and break from exposure to the sun and elements. Tarpaper is intended as a "backup" for the finish roofing material. For example, if an asphalt shingle broke or blew off, the tarpaper will offer some leak protection until you can get it repaired.
Mold needs significant and persistent moisture to grow. Unless your roofers decide to go on an extended vacation from your job, your concern is probably unwarranted. In my experience, mold caused by roof leaks is initially invisible, occurring over long periods of time from small, unnoticed leaks.
Good luck with your new roof. By the way, if you live in the "Snow Belt" and are at risk for ice dams, be sure they have installed an "ice and water dam" along the lower edge of your roof. OK, it's summer now, but the inevitable winter will be roaring back at us before you know it! Be ready.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- 7 ways to save on carpet cleaning
- DIY pool maintenance
- How to use the home loan comparison calculator
- Saving money with home maintenance Video
- Easy oven cleaning without harsh chemicals
- Get rid of roaches safely
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?