Transforming Your Junk Drawer
by Maria Gracia
Help! My House Is a Disaster!
Finding Storage Space
Ninety-nine percent of the people in this world have a junk drawer. So, I'm certainly not going to be the bad guy (or bad women) to tell you not to have one.
However, why not try to organize it a bit so that, instead of a junk drawer, it can be called your HELP drawer.
Here are just a few simple steps to make this transition:
- Remove Everything.
- Find Dividing Tools.
- Categorize Into Compartments.
Take everything out of the drawer and place it on top of your counter. If your junk drawer is removable, remove it from the track and turn it upside down onto your counter. You may want to lay a sheet of newspaper down first to help protect your countertop.
On your counter, begin categorizing each widget (i.e. thumbtacks in one pile, buttons in another, toothpicks in another, and so on.) By the way, when you come across a gadget that you can't identify, put it aside. Check with others in your family to determine if it can be identified, and if it is truly needed. If not, toss it.
Find something around the house that you can slip into your drawer to keep these categorized items separated, such as an ice cube tray, drawer dividers, small boxes, or three-ounce Dixie Cups. Organize these separators into your drawer.
Finally, begin replacing the items you are going to keep, ensuring that each categorized item is in its own place.
You're done! Voila! One minute you have a Junk Drawer, and the next minute, you have a Help Drawer!
Maria Gracia hosts the Get Organized Now! website www.getorganizednow.com. FREE Idea-Pak and E-zine filled with tips, ideas, articles and more to help you organize your home, your office and your life at the Get Organized Now! Website!
Take the Next Step
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Organization Tips to Save Time and Money" board today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- Creating an outdoor kitchen
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Saving on water one drop at a time
- Cheaper summer cooling
- Inexpensive landscaping ideas
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?