courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am, It has been overheating for a while now. We don't even get to drive the car anymore. We replaced the thermostat two times now and we replaced the water pump. We back flushed the system two times and flushed the radiator two times. There is no oil in the water or water in the oil, the car doesn't smoke or lose any coolant. when we let the car set and idle for an hour or two and it doesn't overheat but as soon as we drive it down the high way it is over heating quick. We have heard something about air lock. They say that it is common in Grand Ams? I hope that you can help.
If your radiator cap is not the highest point in the system, then there will be an air bleed valve somewhere. Look at all the hoses and such and look for the highest spot. There should be a bleed screw to let the air out. In addition, just because there is no oil in the water or water in the oil (or even smoke for that matter) does not rule out a bad head gasket. Those are just some of the symptoms that are easy to spot.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 5 reasons to consider living in a tiny house
- Homemade cleanser recipes
- Free fireplace logs
- Updating vinyl blinds for less
- When you can't afford housing repairs
- Winterizing your apartment
- Preventing an annual visit from the rooter guy
- Fall care for your fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- APR and mortgage rate: What you need to know
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?