courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1993 Pontiac Grand Am, It has been overheating for a while now. We don't even get to drive the car anymore. We replaced the thermostat two times now and we replaced the water pump. We back flushed the system two times and flushed the radiator two times. There is no oil in the water or water in the oil, the car doesn't smoke or lose any coolant. when we let the car set and idle for an hour or two and it doesn't overheat but as soon as we drive it down the high way it is over heating quick. We have heard something about air lock. They say that it is common in Grand Ams? I hope that you can help.
If your radiator cap is not the highest point in the system, then there will be an air bleed valve somewhere. Look at all the hoses and such and look for the highest spot. There should be a bleed screw to let the air out. In addition, just because there is no oil in the water or water in the oil (or even smoke for that matter) does not rule out a bad head gasket. Those are just some of the symptoms that are easy to spot.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?