Disappearing Radiator Coolant
by Bob DeP.
I have a 1992 Oldsmobile Achieva, 6 cylinder. I have to keep putting in coolant and water in the radiator, what can I do?
The first thing you need to do is find out where it is leaking. The easiest way is to get a large piece of cardboard. Then, when you park your car, put the cardboard underneath. In a few hours or the next morning, see where the stains are on the cardboard. This will help you know where to find the leak. Once you have a general location look for any hoses in that area. Once you find the suspect hose, change it. One thing that you must be aware of, once you change the leaky hose, don't be surprised if another one starts leaking right away. Leaks will develop at the weakest point. Shore it up, and it will find the next weakest point.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?