Disappearing Radiator Coolant
by Bob DeP.
I have a 1992 Oldsmobile Achieva, 6 cylinder. I have to keep putting in coolant and water in the radiator, what can I do?
The first thing you need to do is find out where it is leaking. The easiest way is to get a large piece of cardboard. Then, when you park your car, put the cardboard underneath. In a few hours or the next morning, see where the stains are on the cardboard. This will help you know where to find the leak. Once you have a general location look for any hoses in that area. Once you find the suspect hose, change it. One thing that you must be aware of, once you change the leaky hose, don't be surprised if another one starts leaking right away. Leaks will develop at the weakest point. Shore it up, and it will find the next weakest point.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?