No Cost Kids' Entertainment
by Janine Lynn
Frugal Indoor Fun
Fun Family Time
20 Fun Ideas
Spring is just around the corner, so get out and enjoy, using items you have around the house and yard!
Water Play - Pull out your gum boots and find a puddle to muck around in (or fill a wading pool with water). Then, bring out the food coloring, bubble bath, whisk, funnels, ladles, water wheel, etc. to have a wild 'n wet time!
Sand Play - Hop in the sandbox and use "tools" such as sieves, empty spice shakers, toilet rolls, tin cans with one or two ends removed, plant pots, etc. to add to the fun.
Nature Scavenger Hunt - Alone or racing with a friend, see how many of the following items you can find: - tree bark, acorn, dead leaf, seed, bone, sand, insect, twig, dead grass, spider web, rock pine needle, clover, ladybug and bird.
Donut Birdfeeder - Welcome the birds back with a tasty treat! Sandwich a bagel between two plastic lids. Thread a string through the center, and tie a big knot at the bottom. Hang from a tree.
Designer Bike - It's time to pull out the old bike again. Spruce it up by tying streamers or ribbons to the handlebars or weaving them through the spokes, and by sticking colorful stickers or tape strips onto the frames and fenders. To make a clatter noise as you ride, clothespin a playing card to the rear fender brace, with the tip of the card between the spokes.
Scoop Ball - Make ball scoops by cutting two or more 1-litre (or 1 quart) plastic milk jugs in half horizontally. Toss a small ball back and forth to a partner, using only the scoop to catch and throw.
Pet Rock - Create your own pet rock by collecting a few well-shaped rocks and gluing them together. When dry, paint your new creature, and add features with markers, bits of felt or fabric, pipe cleaners, etc.
Splashy Sidewalk Paintings - Add some color to your life! Use one of your dad's large paintbrushes (or a plant mister) to create pictures on the sidewalk, using water mixed with a little paint powder, food coloring, or Kool-Aid powder.
Janine Lynn is a parent, author, and educator. Born and raised in Alberta, she is the author of Help! I'm Bored! - Over 300 Children's Activities for Ages 2-12 . She wrote this book because she wanted all of her favorite teaching ideas collaborated into one book, ready to use for any occasion!
Trending on TDS
- Legitimate work-at-home job opportunities in the education arena
- Natural congestion remedies
- Why reuseable snack bags make sense Giveaway
- Family Halloween costumes
- A teen clothing allowance
- Halloween on a dime
- Beating the high cost of bedwetting
- 6 things to consider before taking on the care of elderly parents
- 6 ways to get free movies and discounts
- October deals at the supermarket and beyond
- Why women are dropping out of the workforce
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator