Too Much Oil?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '91 Honda Civic 4dr, auto, EX with 75,000 miles on it. My non-Honda serviceman put too much engine oil in, to the tune of more than a quart of excess. I took it on a trip of about 200 miles, not noticing what was evident to outside persons. It started burning oil like crazy. It went from burning none to a quart in 1200 miles. My non-Honda serviceman says, "Big deal. The excess oils shouldn't hurt. It is done all the time." However, my Honda manual, in 1/4 inch large heavy type, says "Don't Overfill." Is my Honda's sudden burning of oil a consequence of the dealer's actions?
Well, one of the problems with adding too much oil is that you run the risk of blowing out your seals. For a mechanic to say that "its done all the time" is incorrect. Those small motors have limited oil carrying capacity. I believe that the older Hyundai's only had a capacity for 3 quarts. Put in too much, and where is it gonna go? Its going to find the weakest link and exploit it!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?