Too Much Oil?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '91 Honda Civic 4dr, auto, EX with 75,000 miles on it. My non-Honda serviceman put too much engine oil in, to the tune of more than a quart of excess. I took it on a trip of about 200 miles, not noticing what was evident to outside persons. It started burning oil like crazy. It went from burning none to a quart in 1200 miles. My non-Honda serviceman says, "Big deal. The excess oils shouldn't hurt. It is done all the time." However, my Honda manual, in 1/4 inch large heavy type, says "Don't Overfill." Is my Honda's sudden burning of oil a consequence of the dealer's actions?
Well, one of the problems with adding too much oil is that you run the risk of blowing out your seals. For a mechanic to say that "its done all the time" is incorrect. Those small motors have limited oil carrying capacity. I believe that the older Hyundai's only had a capacity for 3 quarts. Put in too much, and where is it gonna go? Its going to find the weakest link and exploit it!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?