Spiced Apples with Dried Cherries and Apricots
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 wedges each
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1 (6-ounce) package dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
- 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tbs. butter, cut into small pieces<
- Crunchy Topping
- Ice cream, whipped cream, or Cheddar cheese slices
In your crockpot, combine the apples, dried fruits, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, flour, salt, and butter. Toss until well mixed.
Cover and cook on the low heat setting about 6 hours or until the apples are soft but still hold their shape.
Meanwhile, make the Crunchy Topping (see below) and set aside to cool.
Sprinkle half of the Crunchy Topping over the fruit and cook, covered, on low 30 minutes longer. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or cheese. Pass the remaining Crunchy Topping separately.
Crunchy Topping: In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats and 1 cup chopped pecans. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander. Cook 5 minutes longer.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- Raising money for your school, church or non-profit group
- Natural wound care Sponsored Video
- Organic treats for Halloween Giveaway
- Start your summer vacation planning now
- Organizing the disorganized mom
- Frugal ideas for kids' Halloween costumes
- 6 things to consider before taking on the care of elderly parents
- 6 ways to get free movies and discounts
- October deals at the supermarket and beyond
- Why women are dropping out of the workforce
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator