Spiced Apples with Dried Cherries and Apricots
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 wedges each
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1 (6-ounce) package dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
- 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tbs. butter, cut into small pieces<
- Crunchy Topping
- Ice cream, whipped cream, or Cheddar cheese slices
In your crockpot, combine the apples, dried fruits, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, flour, salt, and butter. Toss until well mixed.
Cover and cook on the low heat setting about 6 hours or until the apples are soft but still hold their shape.
Meanwhile, make the Crunchy Topping (see below) and set aside to cool.
Sprinkle half of the Crunchy Topping over the fruit and cook, covered, on low 30 minutes longer. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or cheese. Pass the remaining Crunchy Topping separately.
Crunchy Topping: In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats and 1 cup chopped pecans. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander. Cook 5 minutes longer.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Also In This Week's Issue
- Money skills key to child's future
- 6 steps to a successful money talk with your spouse
- 5 creative ways to wrap gift cards
- Thrifty stocking stuffers
- Should your kid take a part-time job?
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- Healthy family breakfasts
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free parenting tips in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Dollar Stretcher for Parents.