Spiced Apples with Dried Cherries and Apricots
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 wedges each
- 2/3 cup dried cherries
- 1 (6-ounce) package dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
- 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tbs. butter, cut into small pieces<
- Crunchy Topping
- Ice cream, whipped cream, or Cheddar cheese slices
In your crockpot, combine the apples, dried fruits, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, flour, salt, and butter. Toss until well mixed.
Cover and cook on the low heat setting about 6 hours or until the apples are soft but still hold their shape.
Meanwhile, make the Crunchy Topping (see below) and set aside to cool.
Sprinkle half of the Crunchy Topping over the fruit and cook, covered, on low 30 minutes longer. Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or cheese. Pass the remaining Crunchy Topping separately.
Crunchy Topping: In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats and 1 cup chopped pecans. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Add 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander. Cook 5 minutes longer.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Sizzling savings: The 10 best deals in July
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- How are relationships faeected by money?
- What's best for baby? Store vs. name brands
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- This week's Readers' Tips