How to waterproof suede
Caring for Suede
Caring for Suede
Removing Dry Cleaning Odors from Suede
How to Care for Suede Boots
I bought a new suede coat (from a thrift store, of course). But, I don't know how to waterproof it to keep it looking nice.
Can one of your readers help me? One of the entries under "suede" said that to care for leather, they rub petroleum jelly on leather. But, I am not sure that would work for suede. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.
Just Brush and Spray
I have two jackets that I have acquired the same way. I clean them well first with a stiff brush but not one that will scratch. Getting the loose dirt out will save you time and help to keep the jacket looking good. I use a waterproofing spray and let it dry and apply a second layer and that usually does it. There are a few suede cleaners, but I have not found one that will not stain your suede darker. If you have not paid much for the jacket you can try just about anything since most will not hurt a good quality jacket in the first place.
Spray with Waterproof Suede Protector
Never put petroleum jelly on any suede! It will ruin it. Just go to a leather store or drug store and purchase waterproof suede protector. It works great. I suggest doing it in your garage with an open space and let it set for a couple of hours. This works great for shoes as well.
Name Brand Protector
There is a spray that Footlocker sells for about $3.50 for a can. It is called Protector TFL Team footlocker. It is made for leathers and suede. My children use it on their leather coats and I use it on my leather coat and suede shoes. It is water and stain repellent.
Waterproofing in a Can
I just researched this. There is a "Suede/Nubuck" Waterproofing Spray that costs $4.99 a can. It can help waterproof. It needs to be reapplied though after being exposed to water. There is also a spray on cleaner for suede/nubuck. Best thing to do would be to clean or brush the suede as clean as you can, then apply the waterproofing spray following the directions on the can.
Clear your clutter the fast and easy way with Goodbye Clutter!
Keep It Clean!
After living in North Dakota my entire life and owning a suede coat during college, I found the best way to keep it nice was to purchase a can of the suede protector spray from a leather store in the mall. (Wilson's) I sprayed my coat every fall after having it professionally cleaned and it worked great. I wore it for four years in college (walking everywhere in frigid temps, rain, sleet and snow!) and finally gave it away since I moved to a climate where a suede coat filled with down just wasn't a practical winter coat. The spray repels the water and stains and having it professionally cleaned every year was a must to keep it really looking nice.
Take the Next Step:
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Never overspend for store-bought cleaners again. Use The Dollar Stretcher's Guide to Homemade Cleaners to find frugal, effective recipes for keeping your entire house and laundry clean and fresh.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Trending on TDS
Helpful Tools & Resources
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?