I need help! I have a rocker glider that is squeaking terribly. We have tried WD-40, but it didn't work. We also used Vaseline to try to stop it, and baby powder (not all at once though). Nothing is working. What do people do to eliminate pesky squeaks?
New Part Know-How
Just wanted to let you know it might not be fixable. I had the same problem. The glider we received as a gift for our new baby boy started squeaking after about a month. We tried everything. It would be okay for a while and then start again. We finally took it apart and found out the roller bearings were bad. We were told by Meijers department store that gliders are seasonal and we had waited too long to get another one.
Try Better Lubricant to Silence Glider Squeak
A common misconception is that WD-40 is a lubricant. It is not. WD-40 will clean and protect the area, and provide some light lubrication, but it's not a lubricant. What Michelle should use is a silicone spray. It's a very good lubricant, and much better for this purpose than WD-40.
Quick and Easy
All you need to do is spray your rocker with Pam cooking spray.
Powdered Graphite for Metal
Use powdered graphite on metal to metal parts. It comes in tubes and can be squirted. Use bar soap on any wood contact. It works wonders on dresser drawers.
Good Results with White Lithium Grease
The only thing that "stops" my car doors and my old metal glider from squeaking is "White Lithium Grease". It is in a spray can, and is thick white grease. If your glider is a wooden one, get some drawer lube. I have some generic brand that an antique dealer gave me, which works great for windows, drawers, or anything wooden. My car doors don't squeak again for about a year after an application
for tools and supplies for your home improvement project Shop at AceHardware.com
Paraffin is preferred
We had the same problem and took our rocker into the furniture store and they put paraffin on it! You can buy the same stuff (wax) in blocks for use in canning at any large department store.
Take the Next Step:
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources.
- Visit our Pinterest board for Home Improvement Tips.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?