courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have an old Honda Accord, but it's not quite mine ... yet. I have it registered and smogged and it's in good running condition but I don't have it insured yet, so it won't be on the road for a couple more weeks. Anyway, I've driven it up and down the street, that it. I haven't gone faster than 15 or 20 mph, but when I go to stop or brake I'm pushing the pedal almost all the way to the floor before I feel the car start to slow down. Also, when I have the car in park with the engine off, I pump the brakes and it doesn't seem to resist at all. What could be causing this? About how much would it cost to repair? How dangerous would it be to take it out on the roads when I do get insurance? Thanks so much!
There are several things that could cause the pedal to go very low. One being worn brake pads. Another could be misadjusted rear brakes. Another could be a leaky hose somewhere. The final reason could be a bad master cylinder. I would check in the order listed. And get it fixed before you drive it.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
Also in Home
- Financial benefits to living in a mobile or manufactured home
- Repurposing an entertainment center
- How to renew your home's doors
- 10 things you don't want to get caught doing in your closet
- Planning your summer garden
- The natural feeding of roses
- Removing mold from your walls
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 things to do before you buy a home
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?