Switching to Synthetic Oil
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
My name is Paul from Ohio, and I just purchased a 02' Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V-6. I have only 1,500 miles currently on the vehicle. My question is when I should switch to synthetic? I have heard that you should wait until about 10,000 miles to let the pistons "set" properly. What do you think? I would like to start as soon as possible. Also, other than Amsoil, is Mobile 1 the best alternative to Amsoil? Does synthetic really make a difference?
I would say that you could switch as soon as 1500 miles. If not that soon, then at most by 3k. I personally like Castrol full synthetic. I use that in all my vehicles.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?