Strange Honda Noises
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '96 Honda LX and it's been working fine for years now. Just recently I notice that sometimes, and rarely does this happen, when I shut down my engine, it sounds as if the engine is still running, or some fan or some sort is still on. I don't know if this is normal in the engine or not, but it only happens occasionally. I thought it might just be the engine cooling itself off after a long ride but I never noticed it before. Thanks a bunch...
What you are hearing is most likely the electric radiator fan. It will stay running (even after shut down) until it's sensors determine that the coolant is cool enough. You probably never paid any attention to it before and that is why you didn't hear it.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?