50th Birthday Party Songs
Special Low-Cost Birthday for Husband
Surprise 30th Birthday Party
My Story: 40th Birthday Surprise
50th Birthday Song Suggestions?
We are having a 50th birthday party for my husband in October and I need some suggestions for songs about growing up to go with pictures of his childhood through adulthood.
Always a Tear Jerker
I suggest Forever Young
by Rod Stewart. This song is always played at our kindergarten graduation along with a slide montage of all the kids during the year. There isn't a dry eye in the house.
Web Sites to Check Out
To find the greatest hit songs listed by Year, click on Music at: PopCultureMadness.com
To find a quotation to go with photos, click on By Topic or Author at: QuoteLand.com
A Trip Down Memory Lane
Ask his mother about his favorite childhood activities (like collecting baseball cards, fishing with pals, etc.). Then do a more nostalgic-theme party with items that he played with when he was a child. Just set a few things on the table or tie a bit of fishing line around the object and hang it from the ceiling with a thumbtack.
You could also rummage through the attic boxes for some of his old clothes and tack them to the walls for a "remember when you wore that favorite shirt?" effect. As far as music goes, call your local "oldies" station and ask them what songs were on the top ten list when he was born or when he was ten. Then take him for a trip down memory lane.
A Variety of Song Choices
Here are a few songs that I think might work:
- Country Roads
- Blowing in the Wind
- Where Have All the Flowers Gone?
- When You Wish Upon a Star
- High Hopes
Put the Photos to Song
If you have any children, a great song would be Grandpa
from the Judds. I did that with my dad on his 50th and he loved it. Everyone cried and laughed with the photos and the song. It was a big hit!
Shop for party supplies and decorations at The Oriental Trading Company!
Make a Treasure Book
Try "I Won't Grow Up, I Don't Want to Grow Up, The World is Getting Older" by Jon Dichter, and Cat's In The Cradle
by Harry Chapin. For my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary, everyone in the family was given one sheet of paper with the instructions to write a favorite memory or two. We then put it into a book for them. They treasured that book and I believe it was their favorite present. Good luck on the birthday party!
Match the Song to the Interests
In order to pick appropriate songs, you need to look at the pictures and get a feel for what kind of events they depict. Is the person a baseball lover? "Take Me Out to the Ball Park" would be perfect. Was he in the military? Then try the "Star Spangled Banner". Your husband may be more whimsical. Then try "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy". Let the pictures direct you to the song.
I did a 50th birthday party for my boss a couple of years ago. I scanned in pictures from his childhood, marriage, and his own children. I then used PowerPoint to create a presentation entitled "Seasons in the Sun" (it was after the song by the same name) and pulled in pictures to match the verse on each slide (1 line of the song for each slide). My boss was totally surprised by the presentation and he loved it. We still look at it from time to time.
Take the Next Step:
- Download 50th Birthday Party Songs
- 50th Surprise Birthday Party Ideas
- My Story: Birthday Surprise
- Ideas for Making Adult Birthdays Special
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- What you should (and shouldn't) buy in November
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 6 tips for a fabulously free vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- 4 secrets to being a frugal foodie
- 6 ways a pet could save you money
- Make money on Black Friday
- Turning your hobby into extra income
- How to score cheap concert and sport tickets and avoid ripoffs
- 10 steps to zap holiday stress
- Unique ways to wrap holiday gift cards