courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Is it okay to drive a car in overdrive when driving in a stop and go situation like in a community area? I thought overdrive was just for highway driving when going a long distance.
Overdrive is, in layman's terms, like a 4th gear. The car won't select it unless you are going fast enough that it needs it. If, however, you find yourself at that speed where the overdrive is switching on and off by itself, then I would suggest manual turning it off until you get out of traffic or to a speed where it will stay on.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?