Strange Sounding Explorer
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I drive a 11 year-old Ford Explorer with 185k miles. When you are going highway speed it sounds like a airplane is taking off. And when you slow down the sound winds down. When you give it gas, it makes a clunking noise. Any suggestions?
Hmm, your problem can be one of three things that come to mind right off the bat:
1) Your tires are not a very good road quality tire, but more of an off road type
2) You have a major vacuum leak
3) Your exhaust is partially plugged making that sound.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Downsizing to a smaller house
- How to clean a stone fireplace
- Clear out Christmas clutter
- Romantic bedrooms on a budget
- Cleaning dryer vents
- Helping a packrat get organized
- Convenient floor cleaners
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?