Getting rid of grasshoppers
No More Grasshoppers!
Safe, Natural Pest Control
Vegetable Garden Pest Control
Getting Rid of Grasshoppers!
I need to find a safe way to eliminate the grasshoppers from eating ALL the leaves off the plants in my garden. They leave nothing but the stalk. I don't want to affect the bees and other "good" insects.
Get Some Chickens
Keep chickens or guinea hens. They eat loads of grasshoppers and will save your garden from destruction. Many cities and towns allow keeping these birds with permits.
Some Like It Hot
Hot pepper wax insect repellent is the key. It's in all the garden catalogs. Insects can't stand the taste, and therefore do not eat the leaves! And it's natural.
Ask the Doctor
You have to check out this website www.dirtdoctor.com. He believes in natural organic solutions to gardening problems.
Kim from WI
Another Chicken Proponent
The simple organic answer is chickens! I had a plague of grasshoppers in my orchard that would leap out of the grass as you walked along. I let my four chickens loose in there during the day, and the problem was gone in a couple of weeks. They may scratch at the garden beds and you may have to tidy up more often, but it's worth it to get rid of the grasshoppers. They also give you hours of entertainment. There's something very comical about the sight of a hen in hot pursuit of a startled grasshopper!
Jo in Western Australia
Look for Neem
Natural insecticides with Neem as the active ingredient will kill grasshoppers. I do not think it will harm other insects, but check the label.
Neem trees are common in the Indian subcontinent and are prized in the villages where they occur. The leaves are a natural disinfectant and insecticide. Toothpaste made with Neem extract is available in the U.S. and is effective against sores in the mouth.
find everything you need to get your garden growing at Mastergardening.com
There's a product called "Ecobran" that is a grasshopper bait containing a fungus that only affects grasshoppers and their close relatives. It doesn't affect other insects or birds.
Take the Next Step
- Looking for affordable pest control solutions? check out DIY pest control
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?