courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently bought a used Toyota Avalon from a dealer. I have an issue with the brakes. When I brake from a speed of 60 mph or below I have a smooth breaking but when I break from a speed of 70 or above the whole steering rattles until the speed comes down to 50 mph.I shall remain grateful for any suggestions/expert advise.
It sounds to me like your rotors are warped. This is not an unusual condition and is a normal side effect of normal brake usage. You see, as the brakes operate, they make heat. This heat soaks its way into the metal of the rotors. Eventually, the rotors become slightly out of round (due to the heating and cooling effect). To solve your problem try the following:
1) have the rotors turned
2) try a better brand of brake pad
3) replace the rotors (last resort)
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- 5 steps to saving money with a lasagna garden
- Buying a lease/option home
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- How a "time of use" meter could reduce your electric bill
- 10 ways to set up a home office without blowing your budget
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?