courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I recently bought a used Toyota Avalon from a dealer. I have an issue with the brakes. When I brake from a speed of 60 mph or below I have a smooth breaking but when I break from a speed of 70 or above the whole steering rattles until the speed comes down to 50 mph.I shall remain grateful for any suggestions/expert advise.
It sounds to me like your rotors are warped. This is not an unusual condition and is a normal side effect of normal brake usage. You see, as the brakes operate, they make heat. This heat soaks its way into the metal of the rotors. Eventually, the rotors become slightly out of round (due to the heating and cooling effect). To solve your problem try the following:
1) have the rotors turned
2) try a better brand of brake pad
3) replace the rotors (last resort)
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Buying carpet for less
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Furnishing your first apartment
- 7 low-cost ways to beat the heat
- Happy homemaking the homemade way
- DIY furniture remakes
- Inexpensive ways to change color of laminate countertops
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?