Garage Sale Getaway
by Michael Webb
A Gift to Remember
Music to Their Ears
Don't Penny Pinch the Romance out of Your Marriage
Couples often don't have the extra funds for the romantic getaways that they desire. Families often have a lot of "junk" that they have accumulated over the years. When people get married, they often have duplicate items they no longer need. Combine these "problems" and a creative solution would be a garage sale vacation.Put together a yard sale, and with the money you raise, take a nice vacation together. You might only earn $100, which is enough for a night at a bed and breakfast. Or you could possibly earn more than $1000, which would give you a world of romantic possibilities.
If you are selling your "surplus" for such a good cause, it will be easier to let go of those unused items that are simply taking up room in the house. Your husband is more likely to let go of his dust-filled shot glass collection and your wife would be more willing to part with the clothes she never wears if you know the funds might take you to some exotic locale. Unused furniture and baby items are always big sellers at garage sales.
This is not just a project that one of you should get stuck with. Make the yard sale a team effort. There will be sorting, pricing and organizing to be done. Signs to be made. Ads to be placed.
A well-organized yard sale takes a lot of time and effort. However, the rewards can be quite substantial. You will clean the clutter out of your house, you'll spend time together on a worthwhile project, and you'll raise some money for a well-deserved romantic getaway.
Michael Webb is the best-selling author of The Romantic's Guide: Hundreds of Creative Tips for a Lifetime of Love. You can order at Amazon.com or for 1000s more of Michael's FREE tips, visit TheRomantic.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?