Venting the Range Hood
Updated Kitchen Lighting
How to Design an Efficient Kitchen
When placing an over-the-range microwave along an exterior wall, is it best to vent to the outdoors or recirculate the air with the filter? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each option?
MH from Lincoln, NE
In my homes, one of my first repair priorities has always been to vent the range hood to the outside. Of all the appliances in your home, the kitchen stove is by far the most polluting.
Steam-carried particles and the byproducts of frying or baking will make a mess of your kitchen walls and ceiling in short order, while in other rooms not only painted surfaces but draperies and furniture will also become soiled.
Of course, venting is sometimes impractical due to cost or impossible due to structural features in the home. In these circumstances, a recirculating vent hood is better than nothing.
Though the combination charcoal/mechanical filters have some effectiveness, they have some serious drawbacks. Just the resistance in the filtering medium alone decreases the effectiveness of the fan, allowing more smoke to escape filtration completely. Also, the well-intentioned charcoal filters in many hoods do a meager job of odor removal because they contain minimal amounts of activated charcoal.
You would think that a manufacturer would offer a range hood with serious air-cleaning capabilities. So far I've yet to discover one.
Until then, I must recommend external venting, without reservation, for any home that can accommodate it.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?