She wants an inexpensive cleaner for laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Floors
Cleaning Wood Laminates
Homemade Floor Cleaners
Tools, Tricks, and Techniques for No Wax Floors
Cleaning Laminate Floors
We just installed a new laminate floor in our entry/kitchen area. Does anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive cleaner? The salesman wanted us to buy a $12 bottle of spray cleaner and a $30 special mop! He said we should not use anything with a water base, because it would leave a film or spots.
Vinegar and Water Cleans Laminates
I recently had a Shaw laminate floor installed in my kitchen. I called their customer service representative to ask the best way to clean their flooring. She told me to use 1/4 cup of vinegar and put it in a 30 to 32 ounce empty spray bottle filled with plain water. I purchased a terry mop cover that has elastic all around it from Home Depot, which I dampen with water and place on a Swiffer dry mop head. I then spray the floor (a small area at a time) with the vinegar/water solution and then wipe it up with the damp terry mop. It does a good job. There is no streaking, and you are using very little water on the floor. One company has come out with wet cloths to attach to Swiffer mops that contain vinegar and water, which I also plan to purchase and try.
Hot Water Is Best Laminate Floor Cleaner
Our laminate floor (Pergo) installer gave us the opposite advice. He suggested using only water. Checking his advice, I used a variety of cleaners on small portions of the floor and found that water was the only thing that didn't leave the floor streaky, sticky or otherwise unclean. Now, hot water is all that is needed to keep our kitchen floor looking great!
Swear by Swiffer
I have laminate flooring in my kitchen/dining room. I use the Swiffer WetJet system. They make a wood floor cleaner. It lasts forever! Also good to use on laminate floors is a "miracle fiber" mop, which is sold on QVC. It comes with two miracle fiber pads. Run one under running water, wring it out, adhere it to the mop, and it does a wonderful job. These can be washed in the washing machine and used over and over.
Denise in New Bern, NC
Inexpensive Homemade Cleaner
To make laminate floor cleaner, mix 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 water, and 3 drops dishwashing liquid for a quart total. For best results, wipe off quickly.
Better Than Laminate Recommended Floor Cleaner
I have Pergo brand laminate floors in the kitchen and dining area. They get quite dirty very quickly. I use a mixture of vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and water (equal parts) for mopping. The floors dry spot-free. They also dry rather quickly, reducing the possibility of people tracking through the wet floor. I think my floors look better using this mixture than they do when I purchase the expensive recommended brand cleaner.
Windex for Laminate Floors?
We recently had a laminate floor put in our kitchen, laundry room and powder room. The installer told me to use Windex to clean it. The ammonia in the window cleaner allows it to dry quickly.
After sweeping or vacuuming, I spray the Windex on a small area and then use a dry Swiffer sheet (or a paper towel) attached to my Swiffer mop to clean the area. This method lets me clean as big or as small an area as I want to without getting out a mop and bucket and committing to washing the entire floor! I buy the economy size Windex at a restaurant supply store and use it to refill my spray bottle, which saves money as well.
Nancy in IL
Laminates Love Microfibers
I had a terrible time keeping my laminate floor looking good. At last, I have learned the secret. I bought a mop with a microfiber pad from cleanreport.com. With microfiber, you do not need any cleaner at all. It is simply amazing! You can also use it to clean windows, mirrors, countertops, sinks, etc. From the same website, I also bought a bottle of floor cleaner. You add a couple of ounces to a spray bottle and dilute it with water. Since I have been using microfiber, I only use the cleaner occasionally. A bottle should last me about a year.
Take the Next Step:
- Check out the Euro-Pro Shark Professional Steam Pocket Mop S3601 .
- Find out if you can use a steam cleaner on wood flooring.
- Take care of no-wax floors.
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
Get more tips for cleaning and caring for laminate flooring.
Discuss "Cleaning No No's" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Also in Home
- Experts guide to line drying clothes
- How to decorate your patio inexpensively
- Organic weed control guide
- Buying furniture from the manufacturer
- Moving on a dime
- Homemade room and fabric deodorizers
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?