by Deborah Taylor-Hough
Easy Soup Idea
Soups from Scratch
Hearty Ham Bone Soups
Many people I've talked with lately have expressed concern about the future of our food supplies and how to effectively make use of their food storage.
The following recipe is not only easy and delicious, it's also a simple way to use canned, dried, and other easily stored food items in a delicious homemade soup (Excerpted and adapted with permission from Mix and Match Recipes: Creative Ideas for Busy Kitchens by Deborah Taylor-Hough.)
Mix-and-Match Soup (8 generous servings)
Broth (choose one)
Tomato: One 12-ounce can of tomato paste plus two 16-ounce cans of tomatoes with juice (chopped) plus water to equal 10 cups total
Chicken/Turkey: 10 cups broth or 4 bouillon cubes dissolved in 10 cups of water
Beef: 10 cups broth or 4 bouillon cubes dissolved in 10 cups of water
Protein (choose one -- 1 pound or 2 cups, cooked)
Ground beef, browned
Leftover meatballs or meatloaf, chopped
Cooked chicken or turkey (cut up)
Ham (cut up)
Frankfurters, sliced (or any sausage or Kielbasa)
Beans, cooked or canned (pintos, kidney, Great Northern, etc.)
Grain (choose 1 or 2 for a total of 2 cups)
Rice, cooked (any variety)
Dumplings (add near end of cooking time)
Vegetables (raw, cooked or canned, choose 2 or more for a total of 1 to 2 cups)
Peas or pea pods
Zucchini (add raw)
Seasonings (choose 2 to 4 spices, 1 to 2 teaspoons each)
To Prepare Soup:
Bring the broth to a boil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven. Add all of the ingredients and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer one hour.
Slow Cooker Prep:
Pour the boiling stock and other ingredients into a slow cooker and simmer for 8 to 12 hours or overnight on LOW setting.
Deborah Taylor-Hough is the author of the bestselling Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month and A Simple Choice: a practical guide for saving your time, money and sanity. She also edits the Simple Times email newsletter. To subscribe, visit Debi online at: thesimplemom.wordpress.com
Trending on TDS
- An affordable wardrobe for a nursing mom
- Cutting the cost of corrective lenses down to size
- Cheaper kitty litter
- Dental plans: A bright smile for less
- Happy Birthdays on a budget
- 200+ ideas for summertime fun
- Easy to make musical instruments for kids
- 4 tips for enjoying a 'staycation'
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in July
- 8 items to buy at yard sales this summer
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator