Help! I'm Bored!
by Janine Lynn
Frugal Winter Fun with Kids
Frugal Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs
Can't afford a winter vacation? Plan a "Hawaii Day" for your kids!
On toothpicks, skewer pieces of pineapple, mango, guava, and other tropical fruit. Serve with yogurt or fruit dip.
Fill a small yogurt container 2/3 full with juice or pop. Cap with a lid and place in freezer for 1 1/2 hours. Then, mix with a fork every 1/2 hour or so until it reaches desired consistency.
Dissolve one 85-gram package of pineapple Jell-O powder (or any other flavor) in 1 cup of boiling water. Stir in 1 1/4 cup of juice. Pour into moulds and freeze.
Make your own little sailboats by stuffing pieces of celery with Cheese Whiz, cream cheese, or peanut butter. Sprinkle on sunflower or sesame seeds. Using a toothpick, insert a cucumber wedge for a sail.
Spend a day at the beach! Partly fill a large plastic tub with cornmeal, rice, or colored macaroni, which has been sprinkled with a few drops of food coloring, mixed well, and spread out to dry. Then, use cups, spoons, colanders, sieves, etc. to dig, scoop, and measure the "sand."
Mix up some fabric paint to design your own Hawaiian souvenir! Mix Kool-Aid powder into small bottles of white glue. Squeeze glue onto a t-shirt (or paper) to make puffy designs. Color will darken as it dries.
Using a hula hoop, try to out-swivel your friends by swinging it around your hips the most times.
Don't forget to dig into your Tickle Trunk to dress Hawaiian!
Reprinted with permission from Help! I'm Bored! ISBN 0-9680809-0-1 .
Janine Lynn is a parent, author, and educator. Born and raised in Alberta, she is the author of Help! I'm Bored! - Over 300 Children's Activities for Ages 2 - 12. She wrote this book simply because she wanted all of her favorite teaching ideas collaborated into one book. Find out more about this book at amazon.com
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- A great way to save for your kids' college TDS Recommends
- Are there any good generic dog food brands?
- A financial safety net for single moms
- Keeping your kids well-clothed for less
- Fun recipes to keep the kids busy this summer
- Kids' parties: Keeping the expenses down while turning up the fun
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in May
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator