Updating Fabric Vertical Blinds
Cleaning Vertical Blinds
Doesn't Want to Buy Replacement Vertical Blinds
I have fabric vertical blinds and I want to change the color as I am redecorating. The price of replacement for each sliding glass door is over $200 each. Is it possible to paint them or dye them without damaging the fabric? At one time, I did try to dye one and the fabric lost its shape. I would appreciate any suggestions that you could give me.
Answers in Fabric and Starch
There is a way to change the color or pattern of your vertical blinds and it is very easy! Find some fabric that you love or that goes with your new decor and then cut it into strips the same length and width as your blinds. Then use starch to stiffen them. Once they are dry and stiff, you just insert them into the vertical blinds just as you would the replacements that are more expensive! We have done this not only in my mother's house but friends' houses as well and it worked without any problems. It only cost them the starch and the fabric.
Emily in Oklahoma
Add a Sheer
If she wants to change the look of the verticals, she can attach a sheer to them. I saw in the JCPenny's catalog that they sell sheers to attach over the verticals. However all they are is sheer curtains and they hook them up where the slates go on the verticals. It looks very nice and they drape very nice.
Attach Fabric with Wonder Under
I think a possible solution to changing the color of your blinds would be to attach fabric with 'wonder under'(a registered trademark) in the color you want or paste on wallpaper to each vertical. The effect will definitely be exactly what you want.
Check Out Home Depot
I replaced my vertical blinds at Home Depot. You can buy the verticals in any color you want. They come eight or nine in a package and I bought three packages. It cost approximately $50. You use your existing rod from your verticals. There was even a couple extra left over to use as the valance. They have quite a few colors. It's a lot cheaper than buying a whole new set and they don't look cheap.
Paint with Dye
When a friend wanted to change the color of her vertical blinds, we bought dye and painted the dye onto the blinds one at a time. It worked beautifully. If your blinds are colored already, you will have to figure out which color dye to use to attain the color that you want.
My mother had verticals for her sliding glass door and window verticals in the family room. She took hers down, placed them on the patio floor and spray painted them in a rose color. Then she took a stamp, dipped it in gold paint and put her pattern of gold leaves on each panel. They turned out beautiful.
Try Suede Paint
I have an answer to your question. You can certainly paint your fabric blinds. That is precisely what I did.
I found paint called "Suede textured" paint made buy "Krylon". The suede paint gives the fabric a "no shine" affect. Other paints usually have a glossy appearance.
A little advice before you get started. Buy more than enough paint. You will be using a lot of paint, since fabric tends to soak up moisture. I used about 10 can of spray paint for two large bedroom windows. They are not cheap either. I paid approximately $6 to $8 per can, so it does add up!
Lay fabric strips on flat surface, like the garage floor or an unfinished basement floor. Spray evenly with two to three thin coats. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area.
Andre from Canada.
for tools and supplies for your home improvement project Shop at AceHardware.com
Get Creative with a Sea Sponge
You will need a sea sponge and matching paint (or use the same paint as the room). Then dilute your paint in water (2/3 paint to 1/3 water). While wearing vinyl/latex/rubber gloves, dip the sea sponge into the paint water, wring slightly, and then apply it to the blind with a rolling motion. Be sure to change the motion to keep from having a pattern. You should take them down and place them on newspaper to do this. Have fun! It will look great!
Callie in PA
Take the Next Step
- Check out Overstock.com for great deals on all of your home decorating needs!
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Frugal Home Decorating and Remodeling" board today!
Also in Home
- Deck clean-up and repair
- How not to become 'house poor'
- Pricing garage sale items
- Free and extremely cheap sources of mulch
- Creating an outdoor room on a budget
- How to frugally remove a tree
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?