Ceiling Fan Repair
Balancing a Ceiling Fan
Ceiling Fan Family Feud
The chain has pulled out of the switch assembly on my ceiling fan. How can I repair the switch?
JY from Glenside, PA
Pull switches, as a rule, cannot be repaired. They must be replaced.
Turn off the power and open up the bottom of the fan body. If you have lights mounted under the fan, you will have to disconnect the light unit first and remove it. Then you can get to the switch.
If you need to disconnect any wires except for the switch wires, be sure to label them or draw a diagram, lest you forget how they were connected!
The switch will probably be connected to the power source and fan motor with non-removable connectors, so you will have to cut the wires. Cut them as close to the switch as possible to be sure you have enough wire to connect to the new switch. Use wire nuts of the proper size to connect the new switch, though the connectors may come with the new switch.
If you don't have a local parts dealer try ALL ABOUT FANS at faninfo.com.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here NaturalHandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links NaturalHandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page NaturalHandyman.com/Friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at NaturalHandyman.com/Contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information located at NaturalHandyman.com/Copyright.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?