Mexican Beans and Rice with Spicy Meatballs
courtesy of Chet's Crock
1 pound extra-lean ground beef
2 packages taco seasoning mix (1 1/4 ounce)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
3 1/2 cups water
1 can sliced ripe olives (2 1/4 ounce), drained
1 can diced green chiles (7 ounce)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 cups converted white rice
1 15-ounce can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
To make the meatballs, in a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, 1/2 package taco seasoning mix, cilantro, breadcrumbs, carrots, and 1/2 cup of the water. Mix to blend well. Roll into 24 balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Set aside.
For the beans and rice, in a four or five quart electric slow cooker, mix together the remaining three cups water with the remaining taco seasoning mix, olives, green chiles, garlic, bell pepper, and rice. Gently push the meatballs down into the rice mixture.
Cover and cook on the low heat setting four hours, or until the rice is just tender and the meatballs are cooked through.
Gently stir in the beans. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer.
Fabulous crock pot recipes, tasty cookie recipes, and vegetarian, vegan, and healthy raw food recipes shared by a natural health food writer who loves to eat. Fun! Visit Chet at http://chetday.com/easyhealthyrecipes.htm
Trending on TDS
- Get creative in the kitchen and save #TDSPantryChallenge
- 7 ways to keep college costs in check
- Home remedies for common winter ailments
- Buying and selling toys on craigslist
- Hiding debts from your spouse
- Is it possible to stay at home with your kids?
- Homemade cat food
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- January bargains in the supermarket and beyond
- Raising kids that launch Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- Best places to sell 8 popular household items
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator