Delaying CV Boot Repair
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '96 Toyota Camry and was advised that my CV boots will need to be replaced in a few months. Seeing that the quote was $350-$400 I haven't been able to save up the money yet. My question is this. Is this type of repair something that is going to cost me more if I don't deal with it right away? And also does is pose a safety risk? I originally brought the car in to have the brakes checked which apparently are fine but the CV boots were the issue.
The Constant Velocity boots protect the CV joints. The CV joints are what connect the two halves of the CV shaft together. The CV shaft is basically a drive axle for front wheel drive vehicles. If it was to break, you would lose power and would be unable to drive any further.
Here is a quick and dirty way to check if the joints are wearing: When turning (slow is good) check to see if you hear a clicking noise. If so, then its time to replace the boots. You do have some time left if the noise just started, but it is hard to say exactly how much time.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- 5 steps to saving money with a lasagna garden
- Buying a lease/option home
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- How a "time of use" meter could reduce your electric bill
- 10 ways to set up a home office without blowing your budget
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?