Delaying CV Boot Repair
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '96 Toyota Camry and was advised that my CV boots will need to be replaced in a few months. Seeing that the quote was $350-$400 I haven't been able to save up the money yet. My question is this. Is this type of repair something that is going to cost me more if I don't deal with it right away? And also does is pose a safety risk? I originally brought the car in to have the brakes checked which apparently are fine but the CV boots were the issue.
The Constant Velocity boots protect the CV joints. The CV joints are what connect the two halves of the CV shaft together. The CV shaft is basically a drive axle for front wheel drive vehicles. If it was to break, you would lose power and would be unable to drive any further.
Here is a quick and dirty way to check if the joints are wearing: When turning (slow is good) check to see if you hear a clicking noise. If so, then its time to replace the boots. You do have some time left if the noise just started, but it is hard to say exactly how much time.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- How to save energy by monitoring usage Giveaway
- Controlling a messy closet for less!
- How to find the best washing machine for your family
- Reduce your water bills with rain barrels
- Is hanging wallpaper a DIY job?
- Selling your home online
- Creative kids' rooms on a budget
- Natural care of fruit trees
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?