Winter Gas Mileage
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Running the heater in mixed mode causes the compressor to run, which reduces gas mileage. But which part is causing the compressor to run: the floor vent or near the windshield? Or more specifically, how should I run the heater to optimize gas mileage?
Whenever the defroster is on, it is running the Air Conditioning (provided that the outside temperature is above 40 degrees). This is to remove the moisture from within the vehicle. The cut off temperature may vary per make of vehicle.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?