Winter Gas Mileage
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Running the heater in mixed mode causes the compressor to run, which reduces gas mileage. But which part is causing the compressor to run: the floor vent or near the windshield? Or more specifically, how should I run the heater to optimize gas mileage?
Whenever the defroster is on, it is running the Air Conditioning (provided that the outside temperature is above 40 degrees). This is to remove the moisture from within the vehicle. The cut off temperature may vary per make of vehicle.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- 8 ways homebuyers annoy sellers
- Why pay extra toward mortgage principal?
- Avoid mortgage closing costs on a refinance?
- 6 ways to stock your "man cave" for under $500
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?