Winter Gas Mileage
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Running the heater in mixed mode causes the compressor to run, which reduces gas mileage. But which part is causing the compressor to run: the floor vent or near the windshield? Or more specifically, how should I run the heater to optimize gas mileage?
Whenever the defroster is on, it is running the Air Conditioning (provided that the outside temperature is above 40 degrees). This is to remove the moisture from within the vehicle. The cut off temperature may vary per make of vehicle.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.