Explorer 'Hot Start' Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer 4wd with a starting problem. When it is cold it starts fine, but when its warmed up 5-10 min + it won't start (like a trip to the store).
It will crank over fine but the fuel pump isn't running (I can hear it when it does). I also traced it to the fuel pump relay when its not working and there is no voltage getting to the relay. The vehicle never has died while running. According to the info I could get the Power Distribution Module(PDM) controls this voltage via the ignition switch. I changed out the ignition switch as it was the lesser of the 2 evils moneywise. The problem still exists. In lieu of the PDM being intermittent faulty I am wondering what info the PDM could be getting for it to inhibit the voltage to the fuel relay (the A/C WOT relay and EEC relay are controlled by the same power feed.) This problem started as an occasional thing about 6 months ago, but It has finally become consistent enough to try and pin down.
Have you tried the neutral safety switch? That is the little gizmo on the transmission that prevents an automatic car from being started while in gear. I remember mid 80's (and probably earlier) Chevy's having a hot start problem (turn the key and nothing happens). However, that generally only effected the starter and not the fuel system (they were carbs back then anyway).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- Top ways to save big oin furniture
- Winning the war against invading ants
- Restoring brass fixtures
- How to keep neighbor dogs from using your yard as an outhouse
- How to revive old yard tools
- Cleaning a greasy driveway
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?