Explorer 'Hot Start' Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1994 Ford Explorer 4wd with a starting problem. When it is cold it starts fine, but when its warmed up 5-10 min + it won't start (like a trip to the store).
It will crank over fine but the fuel pump isn't running (I can hear it when it does). I also traced it to the fuel pump relay when its not working and there is no voltage getting to the relay. The vehicle never has died while running. According to the info I could get the Power Distribution Module(PDM) controls this voltage via the ignition switch. I changed out the ignition switch as it was the lesser of the 2 evils moneywise. The problem still exists. In lieu of the PDM being intermittent faulty I am wondering what info the PDM could be getting for it to inhibit the voltage to the fuel relay (the A/C WOT relay and EEC relay are controlled by the same power feed.) This problem started as an occasional thing about 6 months ago, but It has finally become consistent enough to try and pin down.
Have you tried the neutral safety switch? That is the little gizmo on the transmission that prevents an automatic car from being started while in gear. I remember mid 80's (and probably earlier) Chevy's having a hot start problem (turn the key and nothing happens). However, that generally only effected the starter and not the fuel system (they were carbs back then anyway).
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?