Spa Beauty for Pennies
by Angela Harris
You've probably heard about models and celebrities traipsing off to top-dollar spas to receive exotic beauty treatments. Think such things are reserved only for the rich and famous? Think again. You can get the same results at home for a fraction of the cost!
Hot Brown Sugar Body Scrub
This treatment is designed to exfoliate and moisturize you from head to toe and it feels wonderful!
What you need:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup olive oil
Heat olive oil over stove or in microwave until very warm (not hot). Stir in brown sugar until blended. Before showering, generously apply mixture to entire body using a circular, massaging motion. Leave on for three minutes. Rinse off in shower. Follow with moisturizer if desired.
Cleopatra's Milk Bath
Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile, inspired the recipe for this delicious, skin-softening milk bath.
What you need:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup honey
1 tbsp. baby oil
1 cup rose petals
Swirl milk, honey, and oil into very warm bathwater. Toss in rose petals. Soak for at least 20 minutes.
Banana Bliss Facial Masque
2 bananas, mashed
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. cornstarch
Mix ingredients into a thick paste. Apply to skin and let dry for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water, then follow with a splash of cold water.
#1 Skin Secret…Shhhh!
Here's a spa secret that I'll bet they wish you didn't know. Regular kitty litter (that's right, kitty litter) can be used in place of expensive facial clay. Just be sure to buy the non-clumping, no additives kind! Scoop into pretty jars for storage and simply add water when you're ready to use. Apply to skin, let it dry, and then rinse. This treatment deep cleans and rejuvenates your skin!
Revitalizing Hair Masque
2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 mashed avocado
Take the Next Step
- Create Spa-Quality Products for Fun & Profit at The Handcrafter's Companion
- Check out e.l.f. (eyes, lips, face) cosmetics for great deals on makeup.
- Subscribe to Surviving Tough Times email newsletter. Each week we'll give you practical survival tools for a challenging economy!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Lifestyle
- 7 US cities with plenty of free vacation attractions
- 10 ways to lose a job before you get it
- 7 easy steps to shedding clothing you'll never wear
- 13 ways to score a big raise
- Top 10 best (and real) work-at-home jobs and careers
- 7 costly travel mistakes to avoid
- How to live a life of luxury without going broke