Spa Beauty for Pennies
by Angela Harris
You've probably heard about models and celebrities traipsing off to top-dollar spas to receive exotic beauty treatments. Think such things are reserved only for the rich and famous? Think again. You can get the same results at home for a fraction of the cost!
Hot Brown Sugar Body Scrub
This treatment is designed to exfoliate and moisturize you from head to toe and it feels wonderful!
What you need:
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup olive oil
Heat olive oil over stove or in microwave until very warm (not hot). Stir in brown sugar until blended. Before showering, generously apply mixture to entire body using a circular, massaging motion. Leave on for three minutes. Rinse off in shower. Follow with moisturizer if desired.
Cleopatra's Milk Bath
Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile, inspired the recipe for this delicious, skin-softening milk bath.
What you need:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup honey
1 tbsp. baby oil
1 cup rose petals
Swirl milk, honey, and oil into very warm bathwater. Toss in rose petals. Soak for at least 20 minutes.
Banana Bliss Facial Masque
2 bananas, mashed
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. cornstarch
Mix ingredients into a thick paste. Apply to skin and let dry for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water, then follow with a splash of cold water.
#1 Skin Secret…Shhhh!
Here's a spa secret that I'll bet they wish you didn't know. Regular kitty litter (that's right, kitty litter) can be used in place of expensive facial clay. Just be sure to buy the non-clumping, no additives kind! Scoop into pretty jars for storage and simply add water when you're ready to use. Apply to skin, let it dry, and then rinse. This treatment deep cleans and rejuvenates your skin!
Revitalizing Hair Masque
2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 mashed avocado
Mix ingredients and apply to damp hair. Leave on 10 minutes. For extra conditioning, wrap hair in hot, wet towel for 20 minutes. Rinse well with warm water. For extra shine, follow with a cold water rinse.
Take the Next Step
- Create Spa-Quality Products for Fun & Profit at The Handcrafter's Companion
- Subscribe to our weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter. Each issue of this free html newsletter features tips and articles to help you stretch your dollars and survive in this challenging economy.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- What's it like selling Avon products?
- New ways to sell your stuff online
- 13 ways to have a dreamy wedding for less
- Natural dry hair solutions
- How to find hidden treasure at garage sales
- The young professional woman: The high cost of getting ready for work
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in May
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- 5 reasons to skip an all-inclusive vacation
- Secrets to living luxuriously for less
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Gain more by spending less