Save Water with Mulch
by Sheryl Simons
My Neighbors Mulch My Garden
Besides discouraging weeds, mulch is a huge water saver. Every year I have mulched my tomato plants with black plastic and barely needed to water my plants unless it was very dry. If I do water them, I water only near the stem of the plant, directly through the plastic. I rarely sprinkle a whole garden, with the exception being my strawberries. Most of my plants I water directly near the base of the plant. Why water the paths and in between the plants where only the weeds are trying to grow? Black plastic also eliminates blossom end rot, for some reason, and really grows nice clean tomatoes. In the evening a couple nights a week, my husband Richard and I tend the garden. One weeds, while one waters. It only takes a few minutes and it's more fun with a friend. It's nice to have someone there to notice the peas coming up, or when the corn peeks up through the dirt!
If you have planted any seeds in your garden such as flowers, radishes, peas, or any other direct seeded plants, they need to be watered once or twice daily until they sprout. Seeds need to be moist to sprout, and if they get dried out first, they will never sprout. Kind of like our kids. They need constant attention and nourishment to sprout, don't they? A never ending job, but a labor of love with many rewards. Mid-summer is not too late to get a few more plants in, especially short season crops like peas, beans, or radishes.
Also in Home
- Tax consequences for selling your home in your 50's and 60's
- Should you refinance your home?
- How to repair ripped window and door screens
- What makes my electric bill so high?
- Homemade cleaner for jetted tubs, shower heads & sprayers
- How to remove urine stains from a hardwood floor
- Finding furniture for smaller spaces
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?