Faulty Fuel Pump
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1986 Honda Accord Sedan. Everything was fine until one day it just didn't want to turn on. I thought it was out of fuel, but that wasn't the case. It just sounds like it is. I cleaned the injectors and put in some fuel injector cleaner. It turned over and then it died. Could the fuel pump go out just like that or would I get some warning signs? I never had a problem with the car before this.
The easiest way to determine if it is fuel pump related is to install a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail. It should read somewhere around 40-45 psi. What generally happens when you turn on the key, is the ECU sends a signal to the fuel pump for about 3-5 seconds to turn on. This basically primes the fuel system and brings it up to operating pressure. In the past, I have seen the system prime fine. Then, the car will start and run for a few seconds until the fuel pressure drops below the minimum. This is because the fuel pump did not turn back on. In most cases, the problem could be traced back to the fuel pump primary circuit.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Keep dogs out of your flower beds naturally Slideshow
- 11 carpet hacks
- How to clean a stained smooth cooktop
- How mower maintainance could save you money
- 6 reasons to plant a tree
- Turning a garage into a family room
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?