The shut off valve is not working on the toilet. Is this a major repair? I need to replace the inlet valve. The tank fills as slow as a turtle! Can I do that without replacing the shut off valve?
By the way, your response to prolonging the flapper life made me laugh! Thanks for that and thanks in advance for your response!
TB from Aurora, CO
Toilet woes aren't always funny. Glad I was able to tickle your funny bone!
Yes, you can do the repair without turning off the valve. Just turn off the main water supply to the house. Flush the toilet once to relieve the pressure in the lines and sponge all the water from the tank before disconnecting the inlet valve. Be careful! Water from any pipes or fixtures above the toilet shutoff valve may drip (or flood) back through the disconnected valve. However, this is not usually a big deal since the vacuum in the pipes will keep the flow to a minor drip. Just put down a few towels, a frying pan or bucket (depending on the height and orientation of the shutoff) and work fast! Just be sure that no one in the house turns on a faucet, begins washing clothes or (gasp) flushes another toilet while you have the valve disconnected. If they do, you will be singing (and bailing) like a sailor!
You can save yourself the possible grief by planning ahead and getting a 3/8" compression cap at the hardware store (I'm assuming your shutoff valve is standard size). Wrap the threads with Teflon tape, then screw the cap onto the shutoff valve (after you disconnect the toilet supply tube, of course) and this will stop any dripping until you're ready to reconnect the inlet tube.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?